Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mickey Mantle's Bat

Mickey Mantle's Bat Tube. Duration : 2.23 Mins.


Keith and I were in Louisville, KY last week for a regional youth leader's gathering for the Wesleyan Church called FUEL. While we were there, we managed to get to the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory right there on main street during out lunch hour. It was real convenient because it was only about 4 blocks from our hotel. GREAT place to see and hold some history as I'm sure you can see here. I've got some other pics on my blog along with this video at ericebbinghaus.com. The visit was educational and exciting. If you're any kind of baseball fan and you happen upon the Louisville area, I highly suggest it. Compared to other tourist attractions, it's very affordable. The adult price for the museum, a factory tour, and an included mini bat was only . Kids were about or I think. In this video, you see me holding a bat that Mickey Mantle used somewhere in the 1961-1964 seasons. Back then they used the same bat for longer than they do now. This one was worn smooth and had a pretty good heft to it. Just imagining that I was holding the same bat that he stroked a bunch of those home runs with was surreal. You have to wear the sissy white gloves to keep the oil from your hands off the bat to help them last longer. I could have also chosen to hold one of David Ortiz's bats (gag me), or Rod Carew (never really cared for the Twins either). In the end, I chose Mickey's bat for the historic value, though I would have tripped over my own jaw had they had one of Stan the ...

Tags: louisville, slugger, factory, museum, hellerich & bradsby, kentucky, fuel, wesleyan, youth, workers, eric, ebbinghaus, keith, benfield, galt, house, ohio, river, main, street

No comments:

Post a Comment